Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Twitter Kinda Sucks

At first I was thrilled about the prospect of using Twitter to send updates. It's free, it's easy to send updates via an HTTP POST, and it handles all of the configuration for devices and following options. But there's a catch. It's really unreliable. :-(

During the course of my testing, I've noticed that I get SMS messages about 50-60% of the time, and if the message is an urgent alert about the smoker needing attention, that's just not acceptable. So, perhaps I need to add an SMTP feature to WiServer and go straight to my carrier's gateway server instead...

On the plus side, I have greatly improved the control algorithm. It makes better use of temperate changes over time to control the fan, and it also has the capability to sense when the smoker's been opened (thus avoiding false alarms for a low fire).

No comments:

Post a Comment