Sunday, June 21, 2009

QPID Shield

I've finally made some 'real' hardware for QPID. I created a custom Arduino shield that includes all of the special hardware and connectors required by QPID. It includes connectors for the temperature probes, a connector and power transistor for the fan, and seven SMT LEDs on the foil side that will serve as indicator lights.






I used software provided by ExpressPCB.com to design the board and match the Arduino dimensions and header layout. It was then printed on a transparency and etched via a positive-resist process. Homemade PCBs aren't the best, but they're cheap and easy to make for prototypes like this. And it sure beats a breadboard.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Mark....Any plans to release the design for the PCB?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure, I can probably do that. :-) Please give me a few days since I'll also need to prepare a detailed components list, especially for the connectors that have a very specific footprint.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This design is perfect. I've been looking for a solution like this, but I would have never thought of this. Did you ever post the design of the PCB? I would love to see how you did it.

    Thanks for the ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Big T., sorry for taking soooo long to post the PCB details, just not enough hours in a day. I'm working on it as we speak, and in a day or two I'll post a PDF with the foil pattern, component layouts, and parts list. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! Can You post, the exspresspcb, pcb file, I want to create a custom shield, for camera remote, but I don't have the exact measurements for the pinouts, thanks rec

    ReplyDelete